Saturday, March 19, 2005

Day Two - Deathwatch for Terri Schiavo

Today is day two in the judicially ordered murder of Terri Schiavo in Florida. Barring an extra-ordinary development she will die of thirst and starvation in a nation which prides itself on its commitment to human rights. That extra-ordinary development may, in fact, be about to happen.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Members of Congress said Saturday that they have agreed on a compromise, bipartisan bill aimed at saving the life of Terri Schiavo, the brain-damaged woman whose feeding tube was disconnected Friday by order of a Florida court.

"It seems to me that we are at a point where we have no choice other than to ensure these parents, who are desperately seeking an opportunity to care for their daughter, have a chance to be heard in federal court," Republican Rep. David Dreier of California said, referring to Mary and Bob Schindler, Schiavo's parents.

The legislation -- which must be voted on by the Senate and the House --would allow Schiavo's parents, who have been waging their legal battles in state court, to take their case to the federal court system.

There is no language ordering that the tube be reinserted, because Congress has no authority to do that.

"We should investigate every avenue before we take the life of a living human being," said House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, a Texas Republican. "This is giving the Schindlers the opportunity to get into federal court and have a federal judge look at this, based on the merits of the case."

The compromise legislation applies only to the Schiavo case, lawmakers said.

The Senate will meet in extraordinary session Saturday and the House will meet Sunday afternoon.

President Bush is expected to sign the bill.

It appears there is still hope that the advocates of the culture of death will be successfully opposed and Terri Schiavo's life will be saved.
................................................................................

Psalm 63 (62)

O God, you are my God, for you I long;
for you my soul is thirsting.
My body pines for you
like a dry, weary land without water.
So I gaze on you in the sanctuary
to see your strength and your glory.

For your love is better than life.
My lips will speak your praise.
So I will bless you all my life.
In your name I will lift up my hands.
My soul shall be filled as with a banquet.
My mouth shall praise you with joy.

On my bed I remember you.
On you I muse through the night
for you have been my help;
in the shadow of your wings I rejoice.
My soul clings to you;
your right hand holds me fast.

Those who seek to destroy my life
shall go down to the depths of the earth.
They shall be put into the power of the sword
and left as the prey of the jackals.
But the king shall rejoice in God;
(all that swear by him shall be blest,)
for the mouth of liars shall be silenced.

1 Comments:

At 12:25 pm, March 23, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Terri's wishes? Don't they count? Isn't it horrible to allow her to suffer? Don't her husband's wishes count?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home