Tuesday, February 22, 2005

A Lesson for Scouter Dad

Today the Boy Scouts and Girl Guides celebrate the respective and simultaneous birthdays of Lord Robert and Lady Olave Baden Powell. The former founded the Boy Scouts and the latter the Girl Guides. By all accounts General Powell, the hero of Mafeking (South African War), was an extraordinary man and his wife was every bit his equal. Together they have had an enormously positive impact on millions of young people around the globe.

This morning Master Liam, a first year scout (having graduated from cubs last year), greeted me with the news that he was going to wear his scout uniform to school in honour of Baden Powell. He said he would be laughed at by some kids but that was ok, because wearing the uniform today was important. I should point out that I am a scouter because of my son, and I congratulated him on his sense of pride in being a scout and his strong character for ignoring the taunts of lesser schoolmates etc. etc.

He looked me in the eye, smiled and asked if I was going to wear my uniform to work. I started to point out that I had meetings to go to and .... well .... I uh, .... Liam asked if I was afraid of being laughed at .....

I went to my closet and put on my uniform. Lord Baden Powell always said we must lead by example. He was right.

1 Comments:

At 3:58 am, February 23, 2005 , Blogger K. Shoshana said...

Personally, I have come to the conclusion that raising children is the ultimate lesson on what humility really means.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home