Sunday, February 13, 2005

Hang On to Your Pocketbook

Saturday morning's Globe & Mail has a story by Jeff Salott which ought to send shivers down those charged with trying to maintain the family budget. The Liberal Government is about to embark on a great national cause.

Canadians want to change their lifestyles to fight pollution and to help Canada meet its goals under the Kyoto accord on climate change, Environment Minister Stéphane Dion says.

The government's pending Kyoto plan "will appeal to Canadians; that will, I think, mobilize the population for a great cause," Mr. Dion said yesterday.

Incentives to encourage people to conserve energy will be part of the Kyoto plan and will be announced with the federal budget on Feb. 23, he added.
We want to change our lifestyles? Well, I guess that may be true. I want to live in a mansion with a three car garage and a swimming pool, where my manservant takes care of those pesky annoying details which consume so much of my time. Somehow, however, I don't think he means that kind of lifestyle change.

Beware of politicians selling soap. Beware, even more, of politicians embarking on a great national causes which are predicated on us changing our lifestyles. I believe we are about to be whacked hard in the pocketbook for our energy needs?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home