Thursday, January 04, 2007

In vino veritas

Well let's see. It's almost midnight on January 4th and I've had about four glasses of vino (Yellow Tail). Just finishing the last few pages of Mark Steyn's America Alone.

I'm not sure if the wine improves my usually brilliant analytical prose or not. I usually post sober. I hope it doesn't affect my many prejudices. I've spent too many years cultivating them to have them wiped out in a few minutes by a couple of glasses of red wine. Accordingly, if I do post something here redolent of liberal wishy-washy cheese eating surrender monkey ...... whooooa .... all systems seem to be registering go for prejudicial commentary .....

Steyn has written a pretty good book (somewhat repetitive, but good) that accords with my view of the Islamic threat to our civilization. Even more importantly he points out how our defeat, if it comes, will be largely a self-inflicted wound. That is how great civilizations die, you see ... by suicide.

That part of his book is the most depressing part of his analysis, but it is the pertinent part. The demographic reality is not empirically refutable. Our refusal to procreate dooms us.

We are either aborting our future, or are refusing to make and nuture it. My apologies to my two sons. I bequeath you a mess created by my generation that is largely narcissistic and materialistic in the extreme. Steyn says we Westerners spend our productive decades as perrennial adolescents. Guilty as charged. I did not begin to grow up until I married at 39. I did not become an adult until I held my first-born son in my arms at age 43. I became a Conservative after I turned 50. It seems I'm a late bloomer boomer.

Well better late than never I say (an early bird not being an option). I will nurture my sons with all the love I can muster to the best of my callow abilities and I promise, as a New Year's resolution (which I normally abhor) to shake off the dead hand of social consensus and speak that which I know.

God bless those engaged directly in the fight against our ancient and pitiless enemy. On you rests more than your smugly effete compatriots know.

(burp!)

2 Comments:

At 8:13 am, January 17, 2007 , Blogger K. Shoshana said...

I hear I you. I came of age in the late 70's and spent the next 15-18 years avoiding motherhood as if it were the black plague. Then I had my own 3. Biggest regret - I didn't have six. I cannot begin to tell you how cheated and angry I feel having grown up at a time when motherhood was such a debased concept for a woman.

 
At 11:30 am, January 22, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you see this review of Steyn's book by Hitchens?

http://www.city-journal.org/html/17_1_urbanities-steyn.html

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home