Tuesday, July 19, 2005

My Secret Heresy Revealed

Just a quick comment before bed. Last week I was posting about taking the religion test and being found to be 96% Catholic. I was distraught because I had no clue where the 4% heresy lay in my character. (I had to remove the post because it was screwing up my sidebar for some reason.) Now I figured out where my heresy lies.

I like Harry Potter. I read it to my eldest son. We are currently working our way through the latest book and we are both thoroughly enjoying it. I don't think Harry Potter books lead to an unhealthy interest in the occult. If I did they wouldn't make it over the drawbridge into Castle Mad.

There is some dispute over the comments from the Pope (then Cardinal Ratzinger, when he wrote some comments in a personal letter). It is doubtful from what I have read that Pope Benedict has even read the books.

In the the end, I think Harry is okay. He's a good guy with pretty good values who spends most of his time:

a) growing up; and
b) fighting evil in the form of "He Who Must Not Be Named."

The "magic" is of the fantasy variety, not the occult variety. If the wizards of the Lord of the Rings can be construed as a Catholic/Christian masterpiece, then there's no need to convene an inquisition on Harry Potter.

I may be doomed to extra time in Purgatory, but there you have it.

3 Comments:

At 11:24 am, July 19, 2005 , Blogger ricky said...

I agree, the books deal with good and bad. They also have millions of children reading again. That is wonderful.

 
At 9:30 pm, July 19, 2005 , Blogger Kermit said...

I am just so shocked!

Peace and all good,

the Frog

PS - electricity always makes me giggle...

 
At 11:01 pm, July 19, 2005 , Blogger Canadianna said...

The Pope suggested that children shouldn't read the books until they were of an age to discern right from wrong.
I think you're safe. ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home