Friday, April 15, 2005

The Corruption of our Youth

On Monday, Liam the Mad's scout troop and a local brownie pack attended our city hall to visit the mayor and then observe city council in session. The first item on the agenda involved an application from a local business. The lawyer for the business was invited by the chair of the committee to make his presentation.

He slowly made his way to the podium and stood there peering around the room at the brownies and scouts looking very uncomfortable. He began his presentation in a halting manner. It went something like this. "I'm here representing "firm X" in its application to operate .... er, ..... uh, ..... eh, ...... an adult body rub parlour." (Gasps!)

Councillors sat riveted to their seats. Brownie and scout leaders sat up straight. The brownies were bewildered. The scouts showed a renewed interest in the proceedings.

As one councillor (who was the chair) explained to me later, no one had twigged to the content of the first presentation as the agenda was not specific about the type of application to be discussed. He assured me that the matter would have been deferred until later that night had they realized its subject matter. Once the lawyer began to speak the councillors sat there aghast, not knowing what to do.

A likely story. I no longer refer to city council as our bastion of local democracy. I have dubbed it The Chamber of Perverted Horrors. My councillor friend says it is the first time in years that such a matter had been considered by council. That much I believe. This is the suburbs, after all.

As for Liam. He's okay with what happened. He's heard worse. His younger brother's toots, for instance.

5 Comments:

At 6:51 pm, April 16, 2005 , Blogger K. Shoshana said...

Nowhere is safe anymore for children. Last summer my son use to come up the office in the Yonge/Bloor area to have lunch with me. He pointed out to me that even the city garbage cans had two guys getting ready to make out on them....today we were coming from Kensington Market on a side street and decided to cut through a park. I had to pick the Last Amazon's jaw up off the ground as the children's park was absolutely packed with adults lying in the sun smoking dope. She could not be believe how blatant they were. Oddly enough, there were no children playing in the park. I guess one does not have to be a rocket scientist to figure out why there were no children.

 
At 7:40 pm, April 16, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was reading your site description;

"when Canucks were brave and carried their weight in the fight for freedom"

Am I missing something....when has Canada carried their weight in the fight for freedom?

 
At 7:59 pm, April 16, 2005 , Blogger John the Mad said...

Anonymous:
When has Canadians ever carried their weight in the fight for freedom?

I assume you are actually looking for an answer. My task will be made easier if you can assure me you know something of the history of the 20th century.

Let me just suggest for openers that WWII was a pretty fair example.

 
At 8:02 pm, April 16, 2005 , Blogger John the Mad said...

Kateland:

Absolutely appalling. I work within a few blocks of Yonge and Bloor. I must admit I haven't seen that stuff.

 
At 9:23 am, April 17, 2005 , Blogger K. Shoshana said...

It was a city government ad used to promote safe sex last summer. I believe they have now moved on to other causes.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home