Friday, March 04, 2005

Making A Difference

CBC News
Calgary - Const. Brock Myrol had everything to live for - newly engaged on Valentine's Day and two weeks into a job that he'd dreamed of doing since he was a young boy. Life held lots of promise.
Those aspirations were tragically cut short Thursday when Myrol and three of his colleagues were gunned down on the job while investigating a marijuana grow operation in Rochfort Bridge.
In a recent interview with his hometown paper in Mayerthorpe, Myrol spoke enthusiastically about doing something meaningful and giving back to the community.
"I wanted the opportunity to work with people and be able to make a difference," he told the Mayerthorpe Freelancer.
"Over time, I saw all the good things you could do for people, and I enjoyed that."
Sadly, it was the worst of humanity that Myrol met on Thursday when he and three others were shot by a man whom many in the community described as a crazed loner.
Also killed in the shooting rampage were Const. Peter Schiemann, 25; Const. Anthony Gordon, 28, and Const. Leo Johnston, 34.
"I just wanted to work with people and make a difference."

That about says it all. The members of the "Boots and Saddles" whom I have had the honour of knowing are all very fine people. They are proud of serving their country in the RCMP, as well they should. Like the members of the Canadian Forces, with whom I have served, the men and women of the RCMP believe in duty and service. Their motto is "Maintain the Right."

Mounties are a special breed and Canadians generally recognize that. My heart goes out to their family members who must be suffering terribly right now.

Constable Brock Myrol's mother had this to say.
"It is our duty as Canadians to stop and re-think how we are raising our children. It is time to teach honour of our country. Brock knew that... It is time to take our liberal-minded attitude to task."
Indeed it is.

1 Comments:

At 11:41 pm, March 04, 2005 , Blogger Sue said...

I thought the comments made by Myrol's Mom were heartfelt and profound. I only hope they did not fall on deaf ears. I had the opportunity to work in an RCMP detatchment and have met many of the strong-willed and amazing members that had to move away from their families to do their duty. It's a big loss today.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have been reading yours for months now, but I am not sure if I've actually commented yet. And also thanks for this wellwishes for my guy. I'm/he's lucky in that his job doesn't take him into the line of fire too often (he works logistics/customs), but still the same, it's a different world than we know of.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home