Friday, March 04, 2005

Just a Heteronormative Guy Am I.

From Angry in the Great White North via Quotulatiousness et al, this heterobreaking news.

At the Crimson Online (via Drudge), a discussion about the disappointing "heteronormative" remarks made by Jada Pinkett Smith at Harvard where she was receiving the "Artist of the Year Award" from the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations:

Students said that some of Pinkett Smith's remarks concerning appropriate gender roles were specific to heterosexual relationships.

Maybe that's because she is in a heterosexual relationship (she's been married to actor Will Smith since December of 1997; they have two children).

"Some of the content was extremely heteronormative, and made BGLTSA [Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Transgender, and Supporters Alliance] members feel uncomfortable," he said.

Calling the comments heteronormative, according to Woods, means they implied that standard sexual relationships are only between males and females.

"Our position is that the comments weren't homophobic, but the content was specific to male-female relationships," Woods said.

This is a heterolicious idea. I must confess to viewing life through a heteromonomaniacal lens. It's a personal heterofailing, I know, but I can't heterohelp it. Heteromea culpa, heteromea culpa, heteromaxima culpa.

I think the problem I have arises from my being something of a heterogenious, actually. Perforce, I make highly intelligent heteronormative comments when I make comments, ... which, being a heteroblogger and all, ... is a lot.

I mean no harm, hetero or othero. You can just call me a heterohumourous guy.

John the HeteroMad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home