Friday, January 14, 2005

How God Makes Babies

Six year old Master Brendan was lying with me in bed before I rose to prepare for my day at the coal face. The radio was on and there was a story about the tsunami. Brendan turned to me and said, "Daddy. God's going to have to make a lot of babies." I agreed that this was so.

He looked thoughtful for a minute and then said, "How's he going to do that?" I paused, thinking about my reply and decided to ask for clarification.

"What do you mean Brendan?"

Well, dad .... Babies come from mummies. How is God going to make all those new babies? ... All the mummies are dead."

I was left speechless. .... And we think they don't listen to the news.

2 Comments:

At 9:58 pm, January 14, 2005 , Blogger letti said...

what can i say..kids say the darnest things..and they can be soo cute

letti.blogspot.com

 
At 2:36 am, January 15, 2005 , Blogger Rebecca said...

That's heartbreaking, but so amazingly true and beautiful all at the same time. Out of the mouths of babes. I think kids listen to much more than we realize, which is one of the reasons we need to be so on top of what they watch, what they read, what they hear - not to censor them necessarily but to be ready for whatever questions come our way. And to let them know that they can ask the questions too, that's so imporatant. What a wonderful conversation.

PS: Thanks for the kind words in my comment box about Calgary Grit; I appreciated the support.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home