Monday, December 06, 2004

Flannery O'Connor Blogsite

I was introduced by surfing serendipity today to a lovely website called flannery.oconnor.blogspot.com. I highly recommend it. I really don't know anything about the late Flannery Oconnor, although I see quotations from him from time to time. Having looked at the site for a short time I think I want to know more. Behold this gem.
When the Protestant hears what he supposes to be the voice of the Lord, he
follows it regardless of whether it runs counter to his church's teachings. The
Catholic believes any voice he may hear comes from the Devil unless it is in
accordance with the teachings of the Church.

This statement is quite true and perceptive, at least for a practicing, orthodox Catholic. Or how about this pearl of wisdom:

Don't expect faith to clear things up for you. It is trust, not
certainty.

Simple yet profound. Now why can't I write like that? It's enough to drive one mad, I tell you.



2 Comments:

At 4:37 pm, December 10, 2004 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you mad, John? Flannery is a woman as well as a very fine southern Catholic writer. If you are interested in male southern Catholic writers, may I recommend Walker Percy.

 
At 1:42 pm, May 18, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before I took a college English course in American literature, I don't think I had heard of Flannery O'Connor either. (I was in my 30's at the time.)

I came across this site because I was, in fact, looking for a specific Flannery O'Connor quotation.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home